The American Prospect, the award-winning liberal magazine of politics, policy and ideas, seeks a full-time Development Manager. The Prospect is based in Washington, D.C., and publishes a quarterly print magazine and daily digital magazine. This position is ideal for someone with previous experience who is seeking more responsibility and involvement in all aspects of nonprofit development and fundraising. The Development Manager will report to the Co-Editor and Co-CEO.
· Conduct research regarding major donors and foundations, and determine what programs or issues prospective donors and foundations already fund or would be interested in funding. Help cultivate new donors and new foundation prospects.
· Coordinate grant process, including proposals, agreement letters, reports and other correspondence. Work with leadership to write proposals and reports.
· Schedule meetings with donors as needed/requested.
· Coordinate a small direct mail program and email campaigns to prior and potential individual donors, working closely with the Prospect’s Business department.
· Track donors and maintain databases and lists of foundation contacts and individual donors. Maintain all donor files.
· Maintain a master calendar with deadlines, tasks and ongoing work.
· Keep donors and foundation contacts informed of editorial successes and stories relevant to their funding interests.
· Handle acknowledgments for all contributions, including individuals and foundations.
· Manage state charitable registrations.
· Organize and run regular fundraising meetings with Prospect board members and editors to discuss funding opportunities and keep current development work on track.
· Assist in all development activities
· Two to four years of experience in nonprofit fundraising and development with an emphasis on foundation fundraising and grant-writing.
· Highly organized, with strong attention to detail and deadlines.
· Knowledge and experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred.
The position is based in Washington, DC. Good benefits, and salary commensurate with experience. To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Development Manager” in the subject line. Please also include your salary requirements.