Manager of Foundation Relations
The American Prospect is one of America’s premier progressive political journals, publishing a bi-monthly magazine and a daily website that feature some of the deepest reporting and liveliest issue commentary in the country. Now in its 23rd year, the Prospect is a critical, agenda-setting voice in the nation’s public debates. It operates on a $3 million annual budget with almost $2.5 million from foundations and other institutional funders.
The Prospect is seeking an experienced and dynamic individual to serve as its Manager of Foundation Relations. The position reports directly to the Vice President of Development and Strategy and works closely with the Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, Board of Directors, and other staff. The position is responsible for managing a development calendar, liaising with foundations and other funders, research, proposal development and writing, grant reporting, and other communications with funders. As part of a small team, this position is ideal for a confident self-starter with a strong desire to expand the impact of one of America’s top progressive media organizations.
- Producing high-quality written communication for funders at all stages of the development process, including proposals, reports, informational updates, acknowledgement letters, and other information-sharing communications;
- Creating and managing a deadline-driven calendar of all development activities;
- Research current and prospective funders;
- Compile impact and media reports for use in funder reporting and outreach;
- Scheduling meetings with funders and compiling information packets and background memorandums for funder meetings;
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date records and data on funders;
- Producing reports for senior leadership as requested;
- Other responsibilities as determined by organizational need.
- A commitment to the Prospect’s mission of promoting social and economic justice;
- Three years of experience in nonprofit development, preferably in foundation fundraising;
- BA degree or equivalent required;
- Excellent writing and organizational skills;
- Organized and detail-oriented;
- Some knowledge and an interest and willingness to learn about current public policy issues, and the ability to research, write about, and advocate for the critical role of independent media in policy debates;
- Outgoing, self-starter who is team-oriented and is willing to pitch in where needed;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel. Experience with Raiser’s Edge a plus. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The American Prospect offers a collegial work environment and outstanding benefits package, including 20 days of vacation per year, medical and dental insurance.
How to apply: Send resume with a thoughtful cover letter and at least one substantive fundraising oriented writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Foundation Manager” plus “your name” in the subject line. We are looking for an immediate hire. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please. The American Prospect is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applicants from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBT applicants. We are committed to a diverse workplace.