The American Prospect welcomes applications for a full-time staff writer
The American Prospect is hiring a journalist to supplement our digital initiatives, working with our team in our Washington, D.C. headquarters. We are looking for someone who wants to be a part of the fast-paced, rolling online conversation about politics and policy, with the added opportunity of branching out to contribute researched articles to our print magazine.
The staff writer will produce several pieces per week for the Prospect website, and serve as a steward for the site’s other content, helping to keep the site vibrant and at the heart of the conversation of progressive politics. The staff writer will also be expected to write for the Prospect’s print edition.
Applicants should have...
- at least three years’ experience writing analysis and commentary for a news outlet;
- the ability to work quickly and comment on the news in real time;
- facility for breaking down political or policy topics so regular people can understand them;
- a passion for progressive policy and politics, with the ability to relate that passion to readers;
- and, experience using content management systems and producing digital media.
Experience with story editing is helpful but not required, as is experience appearing in the media and speaking publicly about topical news. Social engagement is a priority, and we are seeking a journalist who is eager to reach readers across a variety of channels and to create new audiences, including through newsletters or podcasts.
Interested? Tell us what talents you can bring to our team!
Send a letter, resume, social links and story links by Monday, June 3.
Subject: Staff Writer Application
For more information, email Ellen Meany: email@example.com.