House Republicans finally waved a white flag over the payroll tax cut extension this afternoon—but not before they’d given President Obama what The New Yorker’s John Cassidy aptly called an “early Christmas present.”
So They Say
Daily Meme: Judging Newt
- George Will eviscerates Gingrich for his attack on the judiciary: “Logic … is a flimsy leash for a mind as protean as Gingrich’s.”
- The American Bar Association president says Gingrich’s proposals threaten our liberty.
- Ruth Marcus notes: “In Gingrich’s America, if the Supreme Court struck down the individual mandate to obtain health insurance, a reelected President Obama would be free to ignore the ruling and order the mandate enforced.”
- Business Insider calls Gingrich’s proposals “absolutely terrifying.”
- Harold Meyerson sums it up: “Between the death of Kim Jong Il and Newt Gingrich’s descent in the polls, it’s been a tough couple of days for fans of tubby megalomaniacs.”
What We’re Writing
- Patrick Caldwell reports from Iowa that Ron Paul’s supporters are the only ones who love their candidate.
- Will an easy path to the nomination make Romney a weaker candidate? Jamelle Bouie ponders the question.
What We're Reading
- Michele Bachmann’s Iowa strategy comes clear: Whoever visits the most towns wins.
- Conservative groups’ top Senate target for 2012 is Ohio’s Sherrod Brown.
- Isn’t That Sweet Dept.: Gingrich campaign launches a “Pets with Newt” site highlighting his love for animals.
- Romney’s fundraising takes off—partly because of Newt-phobia?
- Fred Barnes claims that “no president since Richard Nixon has focused as single-mindedly and relentlessly on winning a second term as Obama.” He doesn’t mean it as a compliment.
Poll of the Day
You need to be logged in to comment.
(If there's one thing we know about comment trolls, it's that they're lazy)